Re: Trouble with byte-compiling .el files on Emacs update

Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:

> I think it's a good policy to add the source directories for all
> Emacs Lisp packages that are depended upon while performing
> byte-compilation,

Agreed.

> and to inhibit the loading of site-start.el. This prevents any 3rd
> party packages from interfering with the build, and gets rid of the
> many "Loading ..." messages that appear when byte-compilation is
> started.

I'm not sure about the side effects.

But I generally think that it is a good idea to have byte-compilation
be performed in a "controlled" environment. Perhaps this should be put
into policy after lenny.

> I've implemented this as follows for the semantic package.

> [...]

>     cat << EOF > path.el
> (let ((paths (list "${ELPREFIX}" "${ELPREFIX}/bovine" "${ELPREFIX}/wisent"
>                    "/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/cedet-common"
>                    "/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/ede"
>                    "/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/eieio"
>                    "/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/speedbar")))
>   (setq load-path (nconc paths load-path) byte-compile-warnings nil))
> EOF

Are you sure that this does what you want? The directories under
/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/ only contain the .elc files and those are all
removed and regenerated during upgrade of Emacsen themselves.

Cheers,
-Hilko