font question in emacs22-gtk

Hi, I hope this is the correct mailing list,

I am trying to get emacs22-gtk to display a pleasing, anti-aliased font
and have been following the directions found on the wiki[0]

I know that in the past I was able to do this but went back to running
emacs -nw for a while, now upon returning to the gtk version I cannot
load the font:

[peter@thruxton:~]% emacs22-gtk -fn 'xft:Monospace:pixelsize=9'
No fonts match `xft:Monospace:pixelsize=9'
[peter@thruxton:~]%
[peter@thruxton:~]% emacs22-gtk -fn xft:"Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10"
No fonts match `xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10'
[peter@thruxton:~]%

However if I call urxvt (my terminal emulator) with the exact same font
arguments it is able to load the fonts correctly, this means they do
exist on my system.

I have the following packages installed on my Debian unstable computer.
emacs-goodies-el                     28.1-1
emacs22                              22.1+1-2
emacs22-bin-common                   22.1+1-2
emacs22-common                       22.1+1-2
emacs22-common-non-dfsg              22.1+1-1
emacs22-gtk                          22.1+1-2
emacsen-common                       1.4.17
ttf-bitstream-vera                   1.10-7

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Also, could you CC
me as I am not susbscribed to this list.

Thank you!

[0]http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/XftGnuEmacs
--

Peter Smerdon