Re: emacs22 Debian package?

Jérôme Marant <jmarant@free.fr> writes:

> There is no emacs21 nor emacs22. There is Emacs. Those are just
> technical package names refering to the same program.

Indeed.  I only started versioning the emacs package as emacsXY (and
wrote the corresponding emacsen-common infrastructure) so that people
could have multiple flavors of emacs installed at the same time.

It has always been my intent to continue maintaining the FSF Emacs
package, and I've been planning to make an emacs22 release once Emacs
22 is released upstream.  In fact, I have an emacs22 tree here that
I've been working on, and that's what I have been planning to release
as emacs22.  I also plan to discuss/decide some outstanding
emacsen-common issues shortly, in particular, the .el/elc symlink
issue, and the load-path issue.

In any case, Jérôme has been a big help, and of course I'd be
interested in help from other people, but I certainly wasn't thinking
of giving up the package at the moment.

My normal course for accepting additional people would be the same one
that Jérôme followed.  He offered help, started submitting patches,
and after a while, I added him as an uploader.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu