Re: New DFSG-compliant emacs packages

Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org> writes:

> But what we are talking about is the fact that GNU took the free
> emacs manual and made it non-free, not the other way around.

They "took" it?  Sorry, but they _wrote_ it, all versions of it.  And
equating "free" with "DFSG-free and nothing else" is a stretch.

What happened is that "GNU" decided to change the licensing conditions
of material written by themselves to something which happens not to
meet the Debian guidelines for free software under certain conditions,
for the sake of achieving a balance more useful between publishers'
possibilities and users' freedoms.  Whether the outcome was as desired
in the _particular_ cases where this was done, may be subject to
debate.

But the FSF certainly did not take anything that it did not _have_ in
the first place.  And they certainly did not "take" anything that had
been created by Debian.

This sort of revisionism really gets nowhere.