Re: Load-path woes

Am 28.10.2006 um 12:26 schrieb Jérôme Marant:
> Le samedi 28 octobre 2006 10:35, Sven Joachim a écrit :
>
>> I'm afraid even the Debian maintainers do not understand it, because
>> load-path is _really_ broken in Debian Emacsen.  The add-on packages'
>> directories are supposed to come after the site-specific directories
>> under /usr/local according to section 9 of the Emacs Policy, but in
>> reality it's the other way around. :-(  I reported this back in March
>> but did not get replies.
>
> I'm not sure about where the problem comes from. I suspect it comes
> from emacsen-common, in the debian-startup.el file,
> debian-pkg-add-load-path-item function. You may want to check it
> out and find out what's wrong.

So far I haven't succeeded with that. There seems to be nothing wrong
with debian-pkg-add-load-path-item; when I eval it manually, it places
its argument at the right place.  I hope I can look deeper into it
next weekend.

Meanwhile, I found out another problem.  Typing

    C-h f RET debian-pkg-add-load-path-item RET

leads to different results in the *Help* buffer in Emacs 21 and 22.

In Emacs 21 (emacs21 -q):

debian-pkg-add-load-path-item is a compiled Lisp function in `debian-startup'.
[...]

Pressing TAB RET in the *Help* buffer displays the function's
definition.  So far, so good.

But in Emacs 22 (emacs-snapshot -q):

debian-pkg-add-load-path-item is a compiled Lisp function in `/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/debian-startup.elc'.
[...]

Pressing TAB RET in the *Help* buffer signals an error:

Can't find library /usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/debian-startup

Now I understand why David claimed that the byte-compiled files and
the uncompiled ones have to be in the same directory. :-(
Hopefully we can resolve this in the newly started thread
(load-path shadows).