Re: New DFSG-compliant emacs packages

+++ Yavor Doganov [30/10/06 12:13 +0200]:
В Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:15:46 -0500, Manoj Srivastava написа:

 But don't ship non-free software while trying to convince us
that you're devoted to free software.  Or, alternatively, continue
shipping it, but stop lying blatantly your users.

The social contract is pretty clear on this.  In light of the social
contract, I don't see how this is blatant lying.

Please don't use the GNU manuals as an excuse to make the non-free
section more legitimate and keep it forever.

That is not the intention with the GNU manuals.  There would be reasons for
keeping the non-free section with or without the GNU manuals.  But whether or
not Debian is going to keep the non-free section is not really relevant to
this discussion.

I'd prefer if you don't
distribute non-free software, even if that means not distributing the
GNU manuals.  Their presence in this section is already a
humiliation, anyway.

If you think that the non-free section of debian should be removed,
debian-emacsen is not the proper forum for discussing it, debian-project
would be more appropriate.

The GNU Project has never
distributed non-free components of the system when there were no free
alternatives developed.  Doing so would totally undermine the goals of
the whole movement, and very likely, the free replacements that exist
today would never have been written.

But what we are talking about is the fact that GNU took the free emacs manual
and made it non-free, not the other way around.

To fulfil its promises, I expect
Debian to do the same.  Is it that hard?

Yes.  rewriting the emacs manual would be hard.  If you could help with this,
it would certainly be appreciated.

 I am sorry you think we should not support our users desire to use
 non-free software like GNU documentation, but we are commited to
 all our users, including ones who still need to use non-free
materials.

Again, calling packaging (=developing, enhancing) and distribution of
non-free software "support" is outrageous.  Debian is no different
from the companies that develop and distribute non-free software --
they "support" their users too.

Are you saying that it would be better support for our users if we didn't
provide a way of getting the emacs manual at all?

stew