Re: New DFSG-compliant emacs packages

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 17:09:05 +0300, Yavor Doganov <yavor@doganov.org> said:

> В Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:37:06 -0400, Peter Galbraith написа:
>>> Are you saying that removing the manual makes Emacs "more free"?
>>
>> Absolutely, according to Debian standards of free software.

> I will try to grasp the meaning of these words when Debian stops
> packaging and distributing the NVidious drivers, pptview, "smart"
> packages that download and install Microsoft fonts and Macromedia
> Flash and everything related that you and I don't have trouble
> identifying as non-free.  Until then, these words are not only
> meaningless, they are ridiculous.

	Careful what you ask for.  If we stop packaging non-free
 material, your precious non-free manuals go with them.

>> Throwing out non-free will throw out yours docs at the same time.
>> Be careful what you wish for.  Debian doesn't make a distinction
>> between a bit non-free and a lot non-free.  The non-free archive is
>> non-free but distributable; that's it.

> Stop distributing non-free software and I'll try to believe that the
> anti-GFDL campaign is a campaign for freedom.  Now it is just a
> pathetic attempt to keep Debian's old reputation as a project that
> cares for freedom -- this is no longer true.

	We recognize some of our users have a need for non-free
 material, like non-free GNU documentation. While not a part of the
 free Debian OS, we try to help those users, until we have free
 alternatives for the non-free programs and documentation, by
 providing for their convenience packaged versions fo the non-free
 programs and documentation.  I am sorry you think we should not
 support our users desire to use non-free software like GNU
 documentation, but we are commited to all our users, including ones
 who still need to use non-free materials.

	manoj

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?