Re: schedules Gnus releases

> Hi,
>
>         Upstream is planning on releasing Gnus 5.10.8, and No Gnus
>  version 0.4,  in a couple of days. I am soliciting comments on how
>  Gnus packaging should be done for Debian.
>
>         Sid already contains No guns 0.3, but sets the version as
>  5.10.6+<blargle> . Shipping Gnus 5.10.8  would essentially mean that
>  people running Sid would have a downgrade, and is probably not
>  desirable.
>
>         If we ship No Gnus 0.4, the issue is again one of numbering,
>  the reason upstream skipped 5.10.7 is because of us shipping No gnus,
>  in part. I would like to prevent these in the future.
>
>         So, we have either forcing people running Sid's Gnus to
>  downgrade from No Gnus 0.3+ to 5.10.8

Downgrading Gnus from development versions is generally not safe.

>  of ship an unreleased version and complicate versioning for
>  future releases.  Not a clean path going forward. I am inclined to
>  continue to ship No Gnus, and hopefully Emacs and Gnus shall
>  release soon, or at least before etch, and then etch would release
>  is Gnus 5.11.

How about creating two separate packages?  'gnus' get the stable
version, and 'gnus-snapshot' (or possibly gnus-beta) get the Gnus CVS
trunk?  There's still a problem because people using 'gnus' now is
actually using the (future) gnus-snapshot package, but maybe that can
be solved by clever versioning tricks.

I like the emacs21-snapshot packages, maybe a similar naming scheme
could be used for Gnus.