Re: mh-e for emacs-snapshot and icon images directory

Peter Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> MH-E (packaged as mh-e in Debian) has moved it's CVS repository to Emacs
> itself.  Therefore, I should probably skip package setup for the
> emacs-snapshot flavour.  Agreed?

Yes please.  (I'll bounce MH-E bug reports to the list anyway.)

> Would people object to me populating a site-lisp directory with so
> many files directly?  I'm on the fence about this.  On one side, I
> like the symmetry with how Emacs bundles them; on the other I don't
> like the apparent added clutter in the site-lisp directory.

> Any thoughts?

In Debian, /usr/share/pixmaps is the correct location for image
files[1], so you should put images under /usr/share/pixmaps/mh-e/ and
populate /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/etc/images/mh-e with symlinks (see
how gnus does it).

As for 'etc/images' vs 'etc/images/mh-e', I think having the
subdirectory is cleaner.  It avoids theoretical issues with two packages
providing the same file, etc.

--
  ,''`.
 : :' :        Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org>

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, emacs-snapshot doesn't follow this convention yet, it's on my
     TODO list.