Re: Emacsen startup scripts

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> writes:
>
>> While trying to fix bugs in cedet packages, I noticed in
>> all emacsen-startup scripts that the maintainer added paths to
>> .el files for the sole purpose of being able to byte-compile
>> other packages which depend on them.
>
> The *.el files need to be in load-path for M-x find-function RET to
> work, I think.
>
> Or is there a different hack in the Debianized Emacs for
> find-function?

I was not thinking of that purpose which is indeed one reason for
adding those paths.

When shipping a given package, do we want all functions to be
accessible through find-function? There is no mention of
this in the Emacs policy and not all packages provide
such paths.

The kind of code I'm referring to looks like the following:

;; For byte-compiling other CEDETs
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semantic/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semantic/bovine/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semantic/wisent/")

The intent of the maintainer was clearly byte-compilation.

BTW, it is not policy compliant:

"Emacs add-on packages may not modify load-path directly.  They must
use (debian-pkg-add-load-path-item <path>)."

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org