Re: [Q]: Emacs on Debian: how all of this works ?

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> Yo (again),

Bonjour Xavier,

> I am just thinking at giving up daily CVS build for several
> packages (including Emacs himself, Gnus, tramp, etc...).

You can also use Jérôme Marant packaging stuff for CVS Emacs.  As I
recall, you simply add his debian/ directory to your CVS tree and build
a Debian package yourself.  As far as gnu goes, Manoj Srivastava
probably still does his nightly CVS gnus build as a Debian package.

> Now, if I plan to «switch» to using Debian package, it would be
> cool if I could get informations on how all of this is
> organized ? How configuration is holded ? Does it need me to do
> extra stuff or may I squeeze totally my .emacs ?

Debian packages that want to setup Emacs stuff do so by adding a file
under /etc/emacs*/site-start.d/ directories, usually just
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/.  All files there gets loaded on startup and
you are free to edit them as config files.

> In fact I want to go deeply into Emacsen stuff: what it does, how it
> does, ...

Cool.  We might even get color-theme.el packaged in Debian, if you
recall.  See:

 http://bugs.debian.org/144420

Thanks,
Peter