Re: FW: emacs-goodies-el restructuring

Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org> writes:
>
> > - `emacs-goodies-extra-el' currently holds elisp packages that depend on
> >   other Debian packages.  It only contains:
> >
> >    dict.el: wrapper around the 'dict' command.
>
> There's a package for that?  I'd been using a badly done
> home-grown version of it.
>
> It might be more easily found if it were named `dict-el'.

No, it's current the only file in `emacs-goodies-extra-el'.

> >   and depends on `dict'.  I will be adding `newsticker' soon, which
> >   depends on `wget'.
> >
> >   I'd like to merge these files into `emacs-goodies-el' and move the
> >   `Depends' to `Recommends'.  That would kill off one small package that is
> >   often overlooked by users.
>
> Sounds reasonable, I guess.

Good, thanks.

> > - Ben Pfaff said he's willing to kill off his debview package and let me
> >   merge deb-view.el into emacs-goodies-el, which also contains:
> >
> >    apt-sources.el: major mode for editing Debian sources.list files;
> >    apt-utils.el: interface to APT (Debian package management);
> >
> >   In a similar Debian theme, the package `debbugs-el' contains:
> >
> >    debian-bug.el, an Emacs command to submit a bug report.
> >    gnus-BTS.el, an enhancement to Gnus to provide buttons on bug
> >      numbers seen in Debian-related messages.
> >
> >   Perhaps I should kill the `debbugs-el' package and create a `debian-el'
> >   package for Debian user tools to hold the five files?
>
> That sounds like a reasonable approach to me.

I'm on a roll.

> >   It could be argued that `debian-changelog-mode.el' is also useful for
> >   Debian users because it highlights bugs and lets users click on them.
> >   But perhaps there should be a diminished user mode without the editing
> >   commands?
>
> Wouldn't turning on read-only mode in the buffer have the same
> effect?

Yes and no.  I think a diminished debian-changelog-mode that only has
read-only features (such a bug fetching) would be less overwhelming for
users.  I don't know maybe not.

Should `debian-changelog-mode' be moved to a user package?
Or stay in dpkg-dev-el ?

Thanks,
Peter