Fontifying region... (wrong-type-argument markerp nil)

Dear all,

I am using the latest XEmacs from sid, and I have the above message in
my minibuffer whenever I try to use the minibuffer -- that is, any
keypress in the minibuffer, such as when entering a filename, brings
up the message, which obscures the display for a couple of
seconds. This makes emacs rather unusable.

I've tried both mule and nomule variants with the same results. I am
also seeing a different set of font colours in LaTeX mode than I am
used to, though this is probably unrelated.

The current package version is 21.4.13-1; last time I saw it working I
was running 21.4.12-1.

Any suggestions?

    Dan.

--
Dan Sheridan -- Research Student -- LFCS, Division of Informatics
 University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Mayfield Road EH9 3JZ