Re: Splitting of XEmacs21 elisp packages

James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:

> Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.berkeley.edu> writes:
>
>> I've made a first rough version of a splitting of
>> xemacs21-{base,mule}support into individual packages.  These packages
>> are at
>
> Err, is this some sort of May 1st joke?  Please tell me this isn't
> intended for upload into the archive proper.  73 new packages?  Why?

Browsing through the wishlist bugs on xemacs21-packages, I've seen
several requests for the ability to remove parts of the XEmacs support
code, either to save disk space or to replace them with newer upstream
versions.  Also, upstream often releases updates to just one or a few
of these modules.  By splitting the packages, it would become easier
to keep them up to date without requiring users to download 18 MB
every week or two.

Hmm, on the other hand it _is_ a lot of packages, which could be
confusing to users.  And having to account for the splitting would
require updates to the dependencies of a lot of the Debian elisp
packages.
--
Daniel Schepler              "Please don't disillusion me.  I
schepler@math.berkeley.edu    haven't had breakfast yet."