ipa fonts HELP!!!

Hi,
I am quite new to emacs and I've been struggling with fonts from the vey beginning. I need to use IPA, but all the IPA char are displayed as squares only. What do I do about it. I have installed tipa, fom debian package and from source too, when package didn't seem to work, but nothing! Please help, since I have start writing my thesis and since It's linguistics I have to input lots of chinese, ipa, and trees and a bunch of other things which are very annoying to do in other editors.
Thanks in advance
Petr