Re: cutting and copying and pasting in emacs.

"Mirabella, Mathew J" <Mathew.Mirabella@team.telstra.com> writes:

> Hi all.  I ran into a slight difficulty.  In emacs, i realise you can
> do C-w and C-SPC to cut tetxt from a buffer which can then be yanked
> into a buffer with C-Y.  However, if you are reviewing a buffer that
> is read only, you cannot grab the text out in this way.

Actually, you can.  It will beep at you and the text will not be
removed from the buffer, but it will still go into the kill ring.

> So is there a command in emacs which allows you to copy a block
> rather than cut it.  Thanks.  Mat.

Use M-w instead of C-w.
--
"Debian for hackers, Red Hat for suits, Slackware for loons."
--CmdrTaco <URL:http://slashdot.org/articles/99/03/22/0928207.shtml>