C-k and scolding

>> Hi all.  I ran into a slight difficulty.  In emacs, i realise you can
>> do C-w and C-SPC to cut tetxt from a buffer which can then be yanked
>> into a buffer with C-Y.  However, if you are reviewing a buffer that
>> is read only, you cannot grab the text out in this way.

Ben> Actually, you can.  It will beep at you and the text will not be
Ben> removed from the buffer, but it will still go into the kill ring.

This brings up the interesting concept of here we are having emacs
scolding us for doing something improper while at the same time if we
were to do it the proper way, it would take more keystrokes.

Moms wonder why kids just don't listen these days, etc.  Youngsters
just don't seem to have respect for the law, etc.

>> So is there a command in emacs which allows you to copy a block
>> rather than cut it.  Thanks.  Mat.

Ben> Use M-w instead of C-w.

Take the case of a single C-k.  To do this the proper way in a
read-only buffer etc. one needs to set a mark, go the end of line, and
hit M-w. Much more trouble than just a C-k while accepting the
sadomasochistic beep.

So there should be a way, just as easy as one or more C-k's, to do
what C-k does (as far as adding to the kill ring), without getting
beeped, nor without changing the file.

P.S. be sure to followup to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org not
debian-emacsen@lists.debian.org
--