Re: Setting startup defaults

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, csj@myrealbox.com wrote:
> General problem: The format of .emacs has me stumped. Where is it
> documented?

The Emacs Lisp reference manual, or any other Emacs Lisp reference.

> Do I have to know lisp?

Yes. The .emacs file is, specifically, a Lisp file that is automatically
loaded when you start an Emacs. You can use it to run arbitrary Lisp on
startup.

> Specific problem:

That is much more useful to deal with. :)

> I want to start emacs with my margin already set to 65 (instead of the
> factory default 70). What specific line do I put in ..emacs?

Well, you /could/ put the following raw Lisp command in:

(setq-default fill-column 65)

That will establish the default column to fill based on to 65
characters.

You would probably be *much* better served by the Custom interface to
configuring Emacs, though. It's a clicky-click interface to setting
things like that *without* needing to know Emacs Lisp first. :)

You should be able to find it on the menu somewhere; it varies from
version to version and between XEmacs and Emacs. It's generally either
on the 'Options' menu or under 'Tools' or 'Help', though.

Alternately, M-x customize-variable fill-column <RET> will let you
configure a single variable (assuming you know which one) through that
interface.

Regards,
        Daniel

--
We must put aside the weapons of our minds,
cross the no man's land come with empty hands.