Re: paragraph-indent-text-mode in mail mode

     Thank you very much for your response.  My reply has been delayed
because I wanted to do some thorough testing before answering.

"D. Goel" <deego@glue.umd.edu> writes:

> >      I use paragraph-indent-text-mode for any text.  My .emacs
> > contains the line:
> >  (setq default-major-mode 'paragraph-indent-text-mode )
> > which works as desired in text mode, but not in mail mode.
> >
> >      I would like to attach paragraph-indent-minor-mode to
> > text-mode-hook so paragraph indent mode will be in effect in all major
> > modes related to text, but haven't been able to find the necessary
>
> hey

> did u try
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'paragraph-indent-minor-mode)

     I thought I had, but I must not have done so, or had the syntax
wrong.  I tried:

 (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode )
 (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'paragraph-indent-minor-mode)

     This gave me the desired results in mail mode, but not in text
mode, even though M-x describe-variable text-mode-hook returned:

(turn-on-auto-fill paragraph-indent-minor-mode text-mode-hook-identify)

     Since text-mode-hook is supposed to be run whenever text mode
starts, paragraph indent mode *should* be invoked when text mode is
started.

     Then I changed .emacs to include:

(setq default-major-mode 'paragraph-indent-text-mode )
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'paragraph-indent-minor-mode)

     This works as I want it.  However, M-x describe-mode mentions the
auto-fill-function minor mode, but doesn't list 'paragraph-indent
minor mode.  But as long as it works, I don't care!

> Better yet, i suggest:

> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-paragraph-indent-minor-mode-my)
>
> (defun turn-on-paragraph-indent-minor-mode-my ()
> 	(interactive)
> 	(paragraph-indent-minor-mode t))

     I tried this in .emacs, and get this error message on startup:

turn-on-paragraph-indent-minor-mode-my: Wrong number of arguments: #[nil
"\301\300!\302\300!L\236\250\301\303!^HL\236\250\304\305!\236\247"
[paragraph-start make-local-variable default-value paragraph-separate
run-hooks paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook] 3 1411592 nil], 1

     You had said "Better yet, i suggest".  Is there any reason the
function (if debugged) would be preferable to first suggestion?  Since
it works for me, I don't care if the function doesn't do it. ;-)

     Thanks again.  Now I can get rid of emacs 19.

Regards,

Bob
--
   _