Re: Calc exits with the error message "Wrong type argument: window-live-p, #<window 11>"

On 29 Mar 2002 18:31:32 -0500
"Colin Walters" <walters@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 20:47, Frédéric Bothamy wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a small problem with the calc package and I'd prefer to have
> > the general opinion from debian-emacsen before submitting a bug with
> > the package to the BTS.
>
> No need to report a bug; the maintainer reads this list :)

Good. I was not sure of this.

> > Wrong type argument: window-live-p, #<window 15>
>
> Yes, hmm.  Well, I have a fix for this, but it makes calc's window stuff
> behave a bit strangely on emacs20, and I haven't had time to figure out
> why.  It works on emacs21, so I went ahead and committed the changes to
> the Emacs CVS too (where calc is integrated).  Anyways, I suppose that
> behaving strangely is better than an error, so calc 2.02f-9 should be
> hitting a Debian mirror near you soon.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check this in the next release.

BTW I noticed today a compilation log in
/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/calc/CompilationLog.gz from, I presume,
the calc package installation. What surprises me is that the file is
not gziped despite its name and I have to find-file-literally it
to read it.

I tracked down the problem : /var/lib/dpkg/info/calc.postinst
calls the function /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-install calc,
which in turns seems to call
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/calc and here we find the
COMPILATIONLOG in the following lines :

COMPILATIONLOG=/usr/share/${FLAVOR}/site-lisp/${PACKAGE}/CompilationLog.gz

[...]

if ${FLAVOR} ${FLAGS} 1>$COMPILATIONLOG 2>&1; then
    echo "Compilation successful, log saved as $COMPILATIONLOG"
else
    estatus=1
    echo "Compilation failed, log saved as $COMPILATIONLOG"
fi

The compilation log should be gziped in either case (or the filename
changed).

Fred