Re: It's Huntin' Season

>>"DGMS" == Davide G M Salvetti <salve@debian.org> writes:

 DGMS> I, the maintainer, don't want to store the system administrator decision
 DGMS> about enabling auctex by default in a configuration file, as I think she
 DGMS> has no need to.

	You want to affect the behaviour of a program the user
 runs. By definition, this is a configurable configuration option.

 DGMS> I rather want she to take this decision through debconf; she should be
 DGMS> free to do "dpkg-reconfigure auctex" ad any time.

	How the configuration file is configured is really irrelevant.

 DGMS> What I ask is: how do I tell Emacs to "(require 'tex-site)" on startup
 DGMS> if the user answered accordingly to that debconf question?

	Emacsen provide a way to set configuration options for emacs
 lisp packages. It is called the site-start.d directory mechanism, and
 the emacs policy is clear on this.

 DGMS> I don't want users to change any file, with regard to this issue.  They
 DGMS> need not.

	Users may decide to change any confiuguration file they wish;
 you have to deal with that.

 Manoj> If you never change the file once created, you have nothing to
 Manoj> worry about. It is only when people are changing files that are
 Manoj> already in place in /etc do questions arise.

 DGMS> This means that if I need a file with "(require 'tex-site)" I may not
 DGMS> put that file in /etc/.  Fine.

	Wrong. If you wish to have a configuration file that
 configures emacs behaviour, it *HAS* to go into /etc. Period.

 DGMS> I think you weren't addressing the right question, no matter how clearer
 DGMS> you could have been.

	Did I do better now?

 DGMS> You might tell me where else should I put that file, or what other
 DGMS> action should I take to accomplish my above stated goal.

	The file _has_ to be under /etc. If you want to use debconf,
 it cannot be a conffile. It is, however, a configuration file.

	I am beginning to sound like a broken record. If this is still
 not clear, please take this offline.

 DGMS> User changes WRT this issue, in the opinion of auctex maintainer, should
 DGMS> only happen through debconf.

	Not your decision to make. Policy is quite clear about this.

 MS> You can;t. These are configuration files, and they must be in /etc.

 DGMS> Yours Emacs add-on packages ones may well be all configuration files.
 DGMS> This one of mine it's not.  Really.

	`Rubbish.
     configuration file
          A file that affects the operation of a program, or provides site-
          or host-specific information, or otherwise customizes the
          behavior of a program.  Typically, configuration files are
          intended to be modified by the system administrator (if needed or
          desired) to conform to local policy or to provide more useful
          site-specific behavior.

	Hence, since (require 'blah) changes the behaviour of Emacs,
 over riding the default handling of TeX files, it is a configuration
 file.

 DGMS> I hope it's now clear that I see a need for some other scheme
 DGMS> to pass lisp form to Emacs on startup which doesn't involve
 DGMS> configuration files.

	Far from clarifying any such thing, I think it merely points
 out the need to actually read policy.

 MS> The files are precicely in the place they need to be. These
 MS> are configuration files for the package, and hence, as per policy,
 MS> they *MUST* be in /etc. Period.

 DGMS> I beg to disagree.

 DGMS> Configuration files must be in /etc.  Files in /etc/ must be
 DGMS> configuration files.  This is fine with me.

	And? What are the reasons behind your disagreemnt? Policy is
 crystal clear on this. Your file changes the behaviour of a
 program. That means it is a configuration file. Therefore it must
 live in /etc/. And user changes in /etc have to be rpeserved. All
 this is stated as a _must_ in policy.

 DGMS> What I disagree about is the fact, which I think your wordings
 DGMS> imply, that emacsen add-on packages can't have some way to pass
 DGMS> lisp forms to Emacs on startup other than through configuration
 DGMS> files.

	Can't do that, by definition of what a configuration file is.

	manoj
 getting irritated now
--
 Before Xerox, five carbons were the maximum extension of anybody's
 ego.