Re: It's Huntin' Season

Manoj> Either never change the file once created; or preserve user
Manoj> changes.  If you never change the file once created, you have
Manoj> nothing to worry about. It is only when people are changing
Manoj> files that are already in place in /etc do questions arise.

Adam> If a package places a file in /etc(this is a configuration file,
Adam> but not a conffile), then I as a user/admin remove it, I don't
Adam> want the package to put a new version in place.

Sorry, but I don't think either of you answer Davide's question.
Which is, WTH should he do to achieve the installation flexibility he
wants to provide?  I write this as someone who used auctex for a
while, and I very much appreciated having the choice.

Adam> This doesn't mean you can interpeted as attempting to save
Adam> changes.  Must is must is must.

Davide> Should we change the Debian Emacs policy to allow me to put
Davide> them somewhere else?

Adam> Emacs policy is wrong in this sense then.  Emacs policy does not
Adam> replace Debian Policy, it enhances it.  And Debian Policy is
Adam> very clear about files in /etc.

This is a non-sequitur, isn't it?  The question is, WHERE SHOULD THESE
FILES BE?  The Debian policy argument implies they shouldn't be in
/etc.  So, where else?

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087