AUC-TeX, Emacs 21, and shell environment

Problem:
In Emacs 21, running TeX-command-master (C-c C-c) on a LaTeX file in
AUC-TeX-mode starts (a program in) a shell that does not read ~/.bashrc .
I noticed this becuse it used to work for me to have e.g.
        export TEXINPUTS=.:$HOME/share/tex:
in ~/.bashrc .  Since I last dist-upgrade'd, this does not work.  I
remember seeing both bash and auctex being upgraded, but their
changelogs provided no help on this matter.

Current packages:
ii  auctex         10.0g-4        An integrated environment for writing TeX/La
ii  bash           2.05a-2        The GNU Bourne Again SHell
ii  bibtool        2.44-4         A tool for manipulating BibTeX data bases.
ii  emacs-goodies- 4-3            Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
ii  emacs21        21.1-5         The GNU Emacs editor.
ii  emacs21-el     21.1-5         GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
ii  emacsen-common 1.4.13         Common facilities for all emacsen.
ii  kernel-image-2 inferno.1      Linux kernel binary image for version 2.2.19
ii  tetex-base     1.0.2+20000804 basic teTeX library files
ii  tetex-bin      1.0.7+20001218 teTeX binary files
ii  tetex-doc      1.0.2+20000804 teTeX documentation
ii  tetex-extra    1.0.2+20000804 extra teTeX library files

Other settings:
TeX-shell "/bin/bash"

When I start a shell from Emacs 21, the ~/.bashrc file is read just fine.

I tried to trace TeX-run-command, but ended in byte compiled code that
didn't make me any wiser.

Does anybody have a solution to this problem, e.g. is there something
I should set to get the TeX-shell to be invoked properly?

Cheers,
--
                                                    Jens Peter Secher

           I øvrigt mener jeg at Amterne skal nedlægges.
 jpsecher@diku.dk - http://www.diku.dk/~jpsecher - (+45) 35 32 14 08
_OpenPGP fingerprint DD6A 05B0 174E BFB2 D4D9  B52E 0EE5 978A FE63 E8A1_