Re: [PROPOSAL] virtual pacakge: emacsen-mule

Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp> writes:

> I noticed several emacs-lisp package requires MULE features for emacsen.
> I think MULE features are necessary for Internet related e-lisp programs,
> such as MUAs, NewsReaders, WWW browsers, since these tools should read various
> messages on the Internet which might be written in various encodings. That is,
> it means these e-lisp programs requires MULE features.
> So, I propose using virtual package "emacsen-mule".

I'm not deeply familiar with alll the issues, but this doesn't
sound like a terrible idea.

> In addition, these packages depending on emacsen-mule should check
> (or (featurep 'mule) (boundp 'MULE)) in debian/emacsen-install scripts.
> Can it be handled in emacsen-common?

Do all the various emacs flavors use 'MULE or 'mule?

In any case, I wouldn't want to put this logic into emacsen-common
because it's the individual emacs binaries that know whether they
support mule and how to detect it, and new versions might come up with
varying methods.  If we did anything, I'd rather just add another
requirement to debian-emacs policy along the lines of
debian-emacs-flavor asking the various emacsen to define something
like debian-mule-supportedp or debian-mule-version (if the version is
relevant).

> It would be good idea to provide mule version in Provides:, but I'm
> not sure that current dpkg can handle versioned provides.  I wonder
> we should have virtual package "emacsen-mule<mule-version>".

I don't know.  This depends on what we're trying to accomplish.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu