Re: w3 and Emacs 21 choices

Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> writes:

> Are you sure that the changes are really so extensive?  Emacs 20
> comes with Gnus 5.7, whereas the `gnus' package has Gnus 5.8.8.
> A version change of .1.8 does not sound particularly major to me.

You may not understand Gnus version numbering.  Odd numbers are the
Emacs-bundled versions of even numbered versions.  Gnus 5.7 is the
same series as Gnus 5.6 off the main site.

Between Gnus 5.6 and 5.8:

* Native mime support came about

* Article display stuff changed, with new defaults

* All the mail fetching stuff changed.

While some of these still look at old variables, others have simply
changed (and the NEWS file doesn't go into much detail, because there
were so many changes).  Trust me, lots of changes, and there are
complaints about various changes when people migrate
voluntarily... they shouldn't be forced along.

Black Holes are Out of Sight