bbdb-initialize in .emacs

Hello,

My bbdb code all worked with Emacs 20.7 running under RH, but since
switching to Debian, it doesn't anymore.  My .emacs contains code to
setup smtpmail and gnus and then bbdb is called:

;;(require 'bbdb) ;; I guess I don't need this anymore...
(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message 'sendmail 'w3)
(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)
(bbdb-insinuate-message)

But none of this happens when emacs starts.  My *Messages* log shows
the other things happening (like loading smtpmail and gnus), but none
of the bbdb messages.  But, when I evalulate the above expressions in
an emacs buffer, they work and bbdb does too.  Any ideas what is
happening here?

Thanks.

Brian Flaherty

--