Re: bug #92117

Hubert Chan <hackerhue@geek.com> writes:

> The --suffix argument doesn't seem to have any limits (at least not
> a 5 character limit).  Again, less that ideal.

Well, using --suffix is definitely an improvement.  Maybe what we
could do is use the prefix for the emacsen flavor, and the suffix for
the package name, like:

tempfile --prefix=`echo $FLAVOR | sed -e s/emacs/e/`- --suffix=-compile-$PACKAGE

This is still kind of ugly though.

> As an additional comment, I usually ignore the compilation output,
> unless something went wrong.  Would it be possible to add an
> additional configuration parameter (maybe on a per-emacs-version
> basis, since someone may want to ignore the logs from the stable
> emacs20, but want to check out the logs from the pre-release
> emacs21) to delete or keep the logs (or keep only on error)?

I would think that the fact that they're stored in /tmp is good
enough; if you want to see the log for a particular compilation, just
copy to a safe location.  If you don't, well then it will get removed
at some point, by tmpreaper or a reboot or whatever.