bug #92117

Hello,

Looking at bug #92117, I can only agree with the submitter.
Hyperlatex, for example, outputs "gigabytes of warnings"¹ during
compilation on my chosen emacsen.

Some emacsen package maintainers seem to have worked around this by
binding `byte-compile-warnings' to nil before compiling, but I think
this is not a good idea, as it destroys potentially useful
information.

Instead, I propose modifying the typical compilation stanza of each
package's emacsen-install script to look like:

cat << EOF > path.el
(setq load-path (cons "." load-path))
EOF
name=`tempfile --prefix=emacs`
${FLAVOR} ${FLAGS} ${FILES} >$name 2>&1
echo "Compilation successful, log saved as $name"
rm -f *.el path.el

This isn't quite ideal, because the logs are named like
/tmp/emacs3Af87, which doesn't really give information on what package
they're from.  But "tempfile" doesn't accept a --prefix of more than 5
characters (which is IMO braindamaged behavior).  Then again, we could
just store the logs somewhere else, like /var/log/emacsen-compile.

Thoughts?

¹To quote the Gnus manual.