Re: emacsen: need plan to fix leftover cruft in share/emacs/XX.Y...

James LewisMoss <jimdres@mindspring.com> writes:

> If bbdb cleans up the files it put in etc/bbdb the dir etc will still
> exist and if debview and python-elisp cleanup the files from site-lisp
> the site-lisp dir will still be around. and in both cases the 20.3 dir
> will still be around.
>
> Solutions I see:
>
> 1) emacsen-common itself cleans up there particular dirs.
> 2) each elisp package tries to cleanup all these dirs and ignores a
>    failure (something else is still there).

Right, perhaps each one, once it's finished cleaning up its files,
calls

  rmdir /usr/share/emacs/20.3/etc || true > /dev/null 2>&1
  rmdir /usr/share/emacs/20.3 || true > /dev/null 2>&1

or similar, which would only work if the dirs are empty.

This could be done in either the add-on packages, the various
emacsen's postrms, or both.  I'm guessing that for these non-package
specific dirs, it might be most appropriate for emacs20, etc. to do
the cleanup...

What say ye?