Re: emacsen: need plan to fix leftover cruft in share/emacs/XX.Y...

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> Look, you'll the emacs maintainer, so you should know, which means
> I'm probably wrong and should test it before I go on.  But even
> going from, say, 20.2 to 20.7, when emacs-20.2 is removed the
> emacsen-remove scripts get called and cruft gets deleted.  Then
> emacs-20.7 is installed and cruft (compilation logs) are recreated
> in a different place.  The only problem is that the add-on
> package-supplied emacsen-remove scripts didn't clean up the
> compilation logs correctly.

OK, you and I were miscommunicating on this point.  When you said
emacsen-remove scripts the first time, I thought you'd meant I should
add code to the scripts *in* emacsen-common, when it looks like what
you really meant was the removal scripts in the add-on packages.
Given that, I think you're right on this point.

So the only point we haven't resolved is whether or not add-on
packages should clean up old-cruft, or just be expected not to
generate future cruft.

Thanks for the help.