Re: emacsen: need plan to fix leftover cruft in share/emacs/XX.Y...

Rob Browning wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:
>
> > Here's my understanding:
> >
> >  /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/remove/<package>
> >
> > is called either when you remove said package, or when you remove
> > an Emacs flavour.  So when you remove Emacs-20.7 in favour of
> > Emacs-21.1, the script will get called and remove <packages>'s
> > cruft from /usr/share/${flavour}/site-lisp/
>
> I'm not worried about the case of going from 20.7 to 21.1, I'm worried
> about the case of going from 20.5 to 20.6, for example, where the
> flavor (i.e. package name) doesn't change.

Okay, s/21.1/20.8/ in the above.

Look, you'll the emacs maintainer, so you should know, which
means I'm probably wrong and should test it before I go on.
But even going from, say, 20.2 to 20.7, when emacs-20.2 is
removed the emacsen-remove scripts get called and cruft gets
deleted.  Then emacs-20.7 is installed and cruft (compilation
logs) are recreated in a different place.  The only problem is
that the add-on package-supplied emacsen-remove scripts didn't
clean up the compilation logs correctly.

Peter