Re: emacsen: need plan to fix leftover cruft in share/emacs/XX.Y...

 Manoj> Hi,
 Manoj>         Well, how do we handle the possibility of having an
 Manoj>         add-on
 Manoj>  package that is only good for emacs-20.6, but conflicts with
 Manoj>  something in emacs 20.7?

 Manoj> 	Seems to me the bug here is packages not removing
 Manoj> 	cruft from
 Manoj>  the site-lisp directories; the solution should be to fix the
 Manoj>  add-on packages, not to go through contortions and changing
 Manoj>  our packaging.

 Manoj> 	We already uninstall all add-on packages during an
 Manoj> 	emacsen
 Manoj>  upgrade; and that is when non-buggy add-on packages clean
 Manoj>  up. On re-installing addon packages with the new emacsen, we
 Manoj>  re-populate the sitelisp dir.

 Manoj> 	I vote we file important bugs against the packages in
 Manoj> 	question
 Manoj>  (for violating emacsen policy); and not change policy to
 Manoj>  accomodate buggy packages. That, apart from being wriong,
 Manoj>  really sets a bad precedent.

 Manoj> 	incidentally, how many packages are guilty of leaving
 Manoj> 	cruft
 Manoj>  behind, so we have an handle on the size of the problem?

On my machine it's bbdb, debview and python-elisp.  nothing else.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!