Re: Gnu Emacs 20.7 and international fonts

> > jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S.=?iso-8859-2?q?_Bie=F1?=) writes:
> > Do I understand correctly that Emacs actually requires the GNU
> > international fonts to be installed in two formats: PCF for viewing
> > and BDF for printing?
>
> Not exactly.  Emacs surely requires BDF fonts for printing
> but that doesn't have to be what included in intlfonts.
> Actually, source of the standard X distribution contains BDF
> files for CJK characters.

On the other hand, the default Emacs configuration assumes that the
International fonts are used for printing. From a practical point of
view (especialy of a novice user like a student of Humanities) this
means that one has to install the same fonts twice: in PCF format
for viewing and in BDF for for printing.

> > If so, then I have a feature request: to make PCF format usable both
> > for viewing and printing. Should I submit it formally on
> > gnu.emacs.bug?
>
> I've already started to work on it, but, for the moment,
> suspended.  Have you ever heard about VFlib (Vertual Font
> library)?  I've half finished the work for making interface
> with VFlib server so that ps-print can get any font data
> from VFlib.  VFlib can handle BDF,PCF,PK,Type1,TrueType
> fonts.

Any of this approaches are good for me. Although the second one is
better from the long term point of view, the first one seems more
simple (and reliable?). I would appreciate very much if you assigned a
higher priority to one of these tasks. From the point of view of an
European user of Emacs (e.g. a student of Oriental languages) the
present situation is highly inconvenient.

Thanks very much for your help.

Best regards

Janusz S. Bień

P.S. Any hints when pretest version of Emacs 21 will be released?

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW