Re: Problems with BIOS boot partition

This question doesn't seem to have sparked too much interest...

For the record I managed to track the source of the hang while booting to the kernel module efivarfs, which apparently doesn't handle the lack of support for EFI smoothly. Strangely enough, loading it once the system has booted works OK (at least on kernel version 4.19.0-6-amd64). Anyway blacklisting efivarfs either on the grub linux command line or in /etc/modprobe.d fixed the problem.

I also determined that the BIOS boot partition loads the EFI image <esp>/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI which also serves as a fallback default image on native EFI support.

I've yet to solve the lack of font support in grub but I guess that isn't the business of this mailing list.

Cheers.