RE: Request for help - Debian UEFI not possible after starting windows

Dell Customer Communication - Confidential

Try making the directory /boot/efi/EFI/boot.  Then just copy everything from /boot/efi/EFI/Debian into that directory and then rename grubx64.efi to bootx64.efi in that directory.

From: Robert Gomułka <robert.zbigniew.gomulka@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 3:08 AM
To: Limonciello, Mario
Cc: debian-efi@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Request for help - Debian UEFI not possible after starting windows

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Good morning everyone,

I have checked few things.

1. I have Debian version 10.1

2. I have installed grub-efi-amd64-bin (it was installed previously, not now). After trying to install grub-efi-amd64 I get message that it is not available but referred by another package.

So I can't reconfigure no-bin version.

3. Inside /boot/efi/EFI/Debian I have grub.cfg and grubx64.efi. I don't know how meaningful are those names, but can't tell what to copy, either.

Could you provide further advise?

Regards, Robert

Pon., 6 kwi 2020, 20:17 użytkownik <Mario.Limonciello@dell.com> napisał:

Dell Customer Communication - Confidential

On your Pendrive copy the efi/boot/shimx64.efi to efi/boot/bootx64.efi

Then you should see your pendrive as a bootable entry every time it is plugged
in.

This is the so called 'removable drive' path that the firmware should be checking
for dictating it's bootable.

> A friend of mine uses very similar setup, but with Ubuntu - in his case
> menu entry doesn't disappear after booting to Windows.
>
> I don't remember Debian version currently, probably current stable. If it
> matters, I can provide it (along with other information).

As another solution, what if you try to copy your bootloader into the ESP
of the disk on the machine and use that?