Re: efivarfs_set_variable: writing to fd 8 failed

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 06:33:14PM +0000, junky@mail.sheugh.com wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 04:04:40PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> [ Re-adding the cc to the debian-efi list - please respond there
>>   too... ]

>> Sorry, I possibly wasn't clear enough. For UEFI, the NVRAM is normally
>> an entirely separate set of storage (typically a flash chip) managed
>> by the motherboard's firmware. It's nothing to do with your SSD or
>> hard drive, it's more like an updated version of how BIOS settings
>> used to be stored.
>>
>> One possible culprit here could be error logs stored in
>> /sys/fs/pstore/ taking up lots of space. Could you check and see if
>> you have any files there please?
>
>Best guess : 200 files of less than 2K each in /sys/fs/pstore

Bah. :-( If you look at the filenames, you'll probably find that
they're named something similar to the following:

  /sys/fs/pstore/dmesg-erst-6661505009219272707.enc.z

(which is on one of my systems locally). The kernel can sometimes drop
error logs there, but doesn't clean them up. If you remove the files
yourself, then that should clear the space and fix your problem.

"I used to be the first kid on the block wanting a cranial implant,
 now I want to be the first with a cranial firewall. " -- Charlie Stross