Re: Updating shim for buster

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:05:20AM +0000, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-02-10 at 21:52 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Hi Steve,
> > > Awesome, thanks! I can see there's been quite a lot of changes to
> > > deal
> > > with. Thanks very much for your efforts!
> > > Just one tiny thing missing that I was hoping for: add i386 to the
> > > arch list. We're wanting to get shim signed for all of amd64, arm64
> > > and i386 for Buster.

> > Ok, -2 uploaded with i386 enabled.  Cheers!

> Thank you very much for your work!

> One question: last year Philipp did some work to have the shim source
> package build the templates required to make it work with our new
> signing infrastructure:

> https://salsa.debian.org/pmhahn/shim

> Instead of using the ephemeral, build-time generated key to sign FB and
> MoK, that allows to sign them using our CA.
> Among other things, this allows the build to be reproducible - which is
> an important aspect in my opinion, especially for a security-critical
> component like shim.

> What are your (and other folks on the list's) thoughts on this?

Right, I was aware of this previous work and even looked at the repository
when preparing this upload, but I couldn't find the rationale for this
change (and nothing was filed in the BTS about this).  Could someone open a
bug report on the package please, and lay out the rationale?  In particular,
I'd prefer to have a record of discussion of whether there's a tradeoff
here, between reproducible builds and increased exposure of the Debian key
as a result of more objects being signed directly with that key vs. an
ephemeral key.

FWIW, EFI signing submissions of shim must all be reproducible builds in
order for Microsoft to sign them - but the reproducibility has an exception
for the ephemeral key.  And the process of attaching a signature from an
ephemeral key to a reproducible build would be the same as the process of
attaching a signature from a Debian key to a reproducible build.  So is
there a substantial advantage to one build method vs. the other for
reproducibility?

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:00:21PM +0000, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> I'm happy to work on it and send an MR, if you required. The repo on
> Salsa though does not seem to exist yet or it doesn't have +R set:

> https://salsa.debian.org/vorlon/shim

Sorry, I've marked this public now.  I have no idea why it would default to
private, that seems a pretty wrong default for salsa...

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/