regenerating /boot/efi/debian/

     During my struggles to get a bootable linux installed on a
MacBook Pro 2,1 which has EFI-32 firmware, I discover that the
debian-8.6.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso multi-arch installer was the only
Linux distribution capable of achieving this. However I wanted to use
the Unity Deskttop on Ubuntu 16.10 so I switched the
/etc/apt/sources.list over to their copy to reinstall that distro.
This, however left me with, the following critical piece for the
Debian Jessie installation.

/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grub.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grub.efi

Am I correct to assume that the command to regenerate these under
Ubuntu 16.10 amd64 would actually be...

sudo grub-install --target i386-efi --boot-directory=/boot
--efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id="${lsb_release -ds)"

and for the amd64 kernel to still run should I just have
grub-efi-ia32-bin installed or does grub-efi-ia32 also have be
installed as well?

I am interested in this issue because I am considering trying to
reformat the /boot/efi partition as HFS+ so that I can create the
missing mach_kernel and
System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist files along aside a
copy of boot.efi which would allow the Mac EFI boot selector to
recognize the presence of a bootable OS.
                            Thanks in advance for any clarifications.
                                        Jack
ps It would be nice if the next Debian Jessie installer were enhanced
to get the user the option to install /boot/efi on an HFS+ partiton
which was automatically configurated with the required mach_kernel and
System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist files and that
hfs-bless was used to bless the installed /boor/efi/EFI/$(lsb_release
-ds)/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi. Thus would allow the EFI
boot selector (available when the option key is pressed at boot on
Macs) to show the efi volume as being available for selection.

pps The installation that I am looking at setting up was previously
described in the following webpage...

http://heeris.id.au/2014/ubuntu-plus-mac-pure-efi-boot/