Re: RAID1 & UEFI: support for twin ESPs in GRUB

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 10:21:47 -0600 D. Jared Dominguez wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:13:58AM -0600, Lee Fisher wrote:
> >
> >> I believe that, even if you were to implement this, there needs to
> >> be clarity from the UEFI forum on what the expected,
> >> spec-compliant behavior is when there are multiple ESP's,
> >> especially since I doubt it is well tested. Without this
> >> information, anything Debian might implement ends up as just a
> >> hack, and bugs mostly would end up actually being differences in
> >> implementation that no BIOS vendor would actually consider a bug.
> >
> >Perhaps starting with the UEFI Forum's new FOSS-centric mailing list,
> >might be a good start. Other FOSS OSes would presumably have to deal
> >with this, not just Debian. If you are not a UEFI Forum member, maybe
> >you can find a proxy who can help you, if they're interested in
> >multiple ESP support. AFAIK, Debian is not a member of UEFI Forum, so
> >you'll have to try Canonical, Red Hat, or SuSE.
> >
> >http://www.uefi.org/FWOSForum
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Lee
>
> (Added Francesco back since he said he's not subscribed to this list.)

Thanks.

> Agreed, and that list is what I had in mind as a starting point for
> Francesco. Membership in the UEFI forum is not necessary to join that
> list and start discussing there.

I am afraid I don't have time to start a discussion in such a large
cross-operating-system forum.
Any help from anyone willing to bring that to the UEFI forum will be
much appreciated.

P.S.: I am not sure I understand what exactly the issue with multiple
ESPs may be, from the UEFI firmware point of view. When I plug in a
removable mass storage device with an ESP in it, a new boot option
appears automatically on my box. I don't see much difference from the
case of a box with N internal drives, each one with its own ESP and
corresponding efibootmgr boot option...

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!