Re: ESP and encrypted root installation

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 08:57:41PM -0500, Brady Dean wrote:
Using the Debian expert (command line) installer how can I format my
HDD with an ESP on /boot/efi and an encrypted root partition?

The installed wont continue because it requires /boot for encrypted root.

You need an unencrypted /boot because that's where the initrd and kernel sit, and my understanding is that booting a standard kernel (from say grub) requires that /boot itself not be a FAT32 partition (which the ESP is). The only exception here is if you are using an EFI stub kernel, which removes grub from the picture entirely, but FAT doesn't support symbolic links, so you'll have to deal with that whenever you upgrade your kernel.

--Jared

--
Jared Domínguez
Infrastructure Software Engineering