Re: help request for changing default users umask

Dear Mike,
thanks a lot for suggestions. I modified permissions of /etc/skel and that works. I was looking for a simple way of modifying umask of new users without having to repeat configuration on every new client workstation... i tried modify /etc/skel/.profile on tjener but it's not enough... i think i will have to do it on every client because it's the skel of the client on which the user logs in the first time that matters. I will experiment with your suggestions!
Thanks again,
L.

Il giorno mer 7 dic 2022 alle ore 23:51 Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de> ha scritto:
Hi Lorenzo,

On  Mi 07 Dez 2022 13:31:39 CET, Lorenzo Ceriani wrote:

> Hi,
> I know this list is not for help but i didn't find a help forum or similar
> specific for debian-edu. I installed debian-edu in a school lab and i am
> making fine tuning before letting the users in. I would prefere that users
> have by default umask 027 and not 002 (and the same permissions on their
> home directory when it's created). I edited /etc/pam.d/common-session as
> suggested in the manual and also changed permissions of /etc/skel but that
> don't affect clients... so i understand i should make the same change on
> every new client of the cluster. Is there a better solution? I tried also
> to put umask 027 in /etc/skel/.profile but that doesn't work...
> For example if a new user logs in for the first time from a client whose
> /etc/pam.d/common-session is not modified all the directories that
> automatically created at first login (Documents, Video, etc) will have
> wrong permissions. Maybe it's not a problem because they are shielded from
> the permissions of the home directory, but i don't like that it's not
> consistent.
> Thanks for any suggestion
> Lorenzo

this mailing list can be used for asking such question. No worries.

For the home directory permissions, I modify /etc/skel's permissions
on tjener.intern and set the permissions I want by default for home
directories.

No sure about the best place to set the umask, though. Maybe in
/etc/profile.d/<your-umask-script> or /etc/bash.bashrc?

Maybe you can also drop this into /etc/skel/.bashrc or .profile.

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31