help request for changing default users umask

Hi,
I know this list is not for help but i didn't find a help forum or similar specific for debian-edu. I installed debian-edu in a school lab and i am making fine tuning before letting the users in. I would prefere that users have by default umask 027 and not 002 (and the same permissions on their home directory when it's created). I edited /etc/pam.d/common-session as suggested in the manual and also changed permissions of /etc/skel but that don't affect clients... so i understand i should make the same change on every new client of the cluster. Is there a better solution? I tried also to put umask 027 in /etc/skel/.profile but that doesn't work...
For example if a new user logs in for the first time from a client whose /etc/pam.d/common-session is not modified all the directories that automatically created at first login (Documents, Video, etc) will have wrong permissions. Maybe it's not a problem because they are shielded from the permissions of the home directory, but i don't like that it's not consistent.
Thanks for any suggestion
Lorenzo