Re: Debian Edu 11 Diskless Workstation Management for multiple schools

Hi Mike,

[ Mike Gabriel, 2021-08-18 ]
> for my school customers, I maintained my own Diskless Workstation chroot in
> a subfolder on some central server that deployed this chroot over to other
> schools (over night, incrementally, only when changes had been applied).
> Basically, I'd like to keep things that way.

It should be possible, I guess.

> However, with the new LTSP approach, is there a chroot for diskless
> workstations anymore, at all. From my understanding, LTSP now creates a
> SquashFS image from the local system and thus uses that as a template. I
> wonder, if I can continue with my current deployment mechanism or if I need
> to re-invent things here.

LTSP is also able to deal with diskless chroots that are maintained
manually like you are supposed doing it.

> Note that I don't have one diskless image per school, but one image that I
> use for all schools. This has been working smoothly over the past years.

On the client LTSP server the chroot location should be something like
/srv/ltsp/amd64 (for 64-bit clients).

You need 'ltsp image <path/to/chroot>' to generate the SqashFS image and
'ltsp initrd' to generate the ltsp.img file. As an example, see the
content of the 'debian-edu-ltsp-install' script for how these commands are
used for building the thin client chroot.

You'll need 'ltsp ipxe' to generate the iPXE configuration file.
Locations of the generated files should be the only caveats, I guess.
(Out of my head and never tested, so things might be different.)

'debian-edu-ltsp-install' contains all configuration as HERE documents
by intention, no modifications are done to stock LTSP. So you can use
the LTSP commands like explained on the LTSP website, see:
https://ltsp.org/man/.

Good luck,
Wolfgang