Debian Edu 11 Diskless Workstation Management for multiple schools

Hi Wolfgang,

for my school customers, I maintained my own Diskless Workstation chroot in a subfolder on some central server that deployed this chroot over to other schools (over night, incrementally, only when changes had been applied). Basically, I'd like to keep things that way. The chroot got created as n i386 chroot with Debian squeeze and got upgraded ever since, with a cross-grade from stretch-i386 to buster-amd64 (ouch!).

However, with the new LTSP approach, is there a chroot for diskless workstations anymore, at all. From my understanding, LTSP now creates a SquashFS image from the local system and thus uses that as a template. I wonder, if I can continue with my current deployment mechanism or if I need to re-invent things here.

Note that I don't have one diskless image per school, but one image that I use for all schools. This has been working smoothly over the past years.

I am currently running an LTSP server test installation based on bullseye, to get an idea of the new low-level plumbing under the hood. I will probably have more questions when investigating the new approach and see how to integrate this into my multi-school-deployment approach.

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31