Re: Upgrade to Debian Edu 11 – DHCP, iPXE, LDAP issue

Hi Dominik,

[ Dominik George, 2021-06-16 ]
> I am currently upgrading a Debian Edu 10 installation to Debian Edu 11
> for testing, mostly finding the upgrade guide to work (with some minor
> pitfalls, for which I am not yet sure whether they are documentation
> issues or caused by local deviations).

Thanks for the feedback and the correction on the wiki.

> But I found one major issue when upgrading the DHCP configuration for
> iPXE: the dhcpOption LDAP attribute is not ordered. Thus, it is
> impossible to reliably configure the iPXE options in LDAP, because the
> `option space ipxe` has to come before setting and using any options
> below that space.

Thanks for spotting this issue.

> Now, ldapvi, which is recommened in the upgrade manual, sorts attributes
> ascii-betically when generating the LDIF, and slapd seems to retain the
> order the attribute was written. What worked for me was doing the
> editing in ldapvi, then letting ldapvi write the LDIF file it would
> apply, and then manually moving the space option to the top in the LDIF
> before applying it using ldapmodify.

Using a file, say ipxe.ldif, containing:

dn: cn=dhcp,cn=tjener,ou=servers,ou=systems,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no
changetype: modify
add: dhcpOption
dhcpOption: space ipxe
dhcpOption: ipxe-encap-opts code 175 = encapsulate ipxe
dhcpOption: ipxe.menu code 39 = unsigned integer 8
dhcpOption: ipxe.no-pxedhcp code 176 = unsigned integer 8
dhcpOption: arch code 93 = unsigned integer 16

and then running:
ldapadd -ZD 'cn=admin,ou=ldap-access,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no' -W -f ipxe.ldif

would avoid the hassle and should do it right; maybe add something
related to the wiki?

Wolfgang