Re: WhosWho: a free software to create whos's who / yearbook / facebook in PDF format

Hi Yvan,

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 09:56:28AM +0200, Yvan Masson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

Not at all, thanks for sharing.

> I made a free / libre software called "WhosWho" to help teachers create
> who's who / yearbook / facebook of their pupils in PDF format:
>
> - pictures can be automatically cropped to keep only the person's face
> - if you have a ODS/XLSX file containing people names, just export it to CSV
> and WhosWho will be able to use it
> - a default picture can be used if you do not have a person's picture
> - multiple sheet layouts are available, each one in 150 and 300 DPI:
>   - A4, portrait, 4x5
>   - A4, portrait, 5x6
>   - A4, landscape, 6x4
>   - A4, landscape, 7x4
>   - A3, portrait, 6x8
>   - A3, landscape, 9x6
>
> While "fresh", it is fully functional and can be easily installed on Debian
> or other Linux distribution (using Python `pip3` tool). Do not hesitate to
> ask if you need help or to report your comments and issues.
>
> It is hosted here: https://framagit.org/Yvan-Masson/WhosWho
>
> My English is not very good, so I would greatly appreciate if someone could
> proofreading the text shown to the users. Once done, WhosWho will be ready
> for translation.

Again, thanks for sharing, and doing do on an open platform. This is
very important, especially for software used in education, because in
contrast to GitHub, GitLab.com, and others, FramaGit (and EduGit, as
such) ensure that young people who are also targeted by the software are
enabled to access and contribute.

I can review your strings while on the train later today. The header of
your script implies that you are open for code review as well. If this
is true, please ping me, and I will also make remarks on performance,
style and best practices concerning your Python code, but will leave
them out if they are not desired.

Cheers,
Nik

--
Dominik George (1. Vorstandsvorsitzender, pädagogischer Leiter)
Teckids e.V. — Digitale Freiheit mit Jugend und Bildung