Re: [RFR] Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage

Hi,

>> I agree with Dominik on the above. The Debian Edu landing page needs
>to be
>> attractive to the given target groups.
>
>I agree with catering for that audience, but IMO
>https://blends.debian.org/edu/ could become just that.

I actually don't care where the stuff is hosted, but the Debian web system has a few drawbacks (see below).

>Actually to me https://blends.debian.org/edu/ has almost the same
>'marketing language' as www.skolelinux.de

Not yet. The first sentence is "Debian Edu is a Debian Pure Blend". You have lost the described audience at that point.

> but the former also has
>useful links to images, documentation and about the status of the
>various releases.

So has the latter.

>> But for rather marketing-like purposes, I feel that the Techkids e.V.
>> landing page is the more appropriate solution.
>
>for that page to become the official Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage I
>think some technical requirements need to be met:
>
>- sources on salsa.debian.org

I don't think this is a precondition.

>- translatable

It is translatable, just not string-wise. This is the major drawback of the Debian website: For the purposes of marketing, the different websites (.de, .at, .no, etc.) will not just need to be translated on string level, but also be adjusted to the background of the country (politocally, and the like).

>Content wise I don't quite like the sponsors at the bottom of
>www.skolelinux.de as it looks like these companies support Debian Edu
>which at least would be total news to me.

In Germany, that is the case. We have not yet worked on separating the websites, as described above.

As a minor point, I don't think www.skoleinux.org should redirect to
>www.skolelinux.de, but rather vice verse.

Indeed.

All in all, I'd advocate for looking at Debian Edu and Skolelinux as two names: Debian Edu being the technical project, and Skolelinux being the supported and advertised product, which involves more than just the software. The latter can, IMHO, be independent of Debian to some extent.

I am intending to make this one topic for the (yet to be announced, but probably not too surprising) sprint in Hamburg ;).

-nik