Re: Using Debian-edu together with Windows Multipoint Servers?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 08:18:03PM +0200, Csányi Pál wrote:
> Multi Point Servers ( MPS ) serves the 'Wyse' thin clients.
> MPS are connected currently to the LinuxSchools Karoshi Server.
>
> Karoshi Server is the Main server which allow for thin clients to
> login to the Karoshi server as Samba users - I think.
> So, when I created the users - students accounts on Karoshi server,
> after that a student can login from a thin client - through an MPS -
> so so the student can find it's home directory - which is actually on
> Karoshi server.
>
> MPS are connected to the Karoshi - Main server so so from thin clients
> users can access the Internet too.
>
> Karoshi server through Web Management allow to Filter the Internet
> access among others.
>
> My question is: can a Debian Edu Main server ( installed as combined
> with a Workstation ) replace such Karoshi server?

If I understand it correctly, the setup at your school requires to join
the three Windows servers to a Samba4 domain. This is possible with
Debian Edu as well, if Administrator rights are available on the Windows
machines.

Debian Edu doesn't provide an Internet content filter out of the box, it
would need some knowledge to set up such a service. It is possible,
though, to block Internet access for groups.

So while it should be possible to replace the existing Karoshi server in
theory, it would need some work.

Hope it helps,
Wolfgang