notes for Edu manual
notes for Edu manual
= [changelog] =
debian-edu-doc (1.902~20160706) unstable; urgency=medium
* * Add common/dblatex.xls for the Xetex build. Thanks to victory.
= [tjener and main server] =
. these should be "main server"
* [6.5 Screenshot tour]
. So here is a screenshot tour through ... first boot of the tjener
* [7.5 Machine Management with GOsa²]
. predefined fixed addresses: 10.0.2.2 (tjener)
* [11.2 Backup Management]
. backup server (tjener by default).
. By default tjener will back up
* [15.1.1 Create Users in Year Groups]
. <emphasis>(as root on Tjener) </emphasis>
* [17.2.4 Separate main and LTSP server]
. when tjener is not a combined server, follow these steps:
. ltspserver00 to the same directory on tjener.
. copy <computeroutput>/var/lib/tftpboot/debian-edu/default-diskless.cfg</computeroutput> to the same directory on tjener.
. on tjener to point to <computeroutput>/var/lib/tftpboot/debian-edu/default-diskless.cfg</computeroutput>.
* [17.4.5 Use printers attachted to LTSP clients]
. <computeroutput>https://www:631</computeroutput> on tjener;
* [17.6.1 Joining a domain]
. (you can use the Squid proxy cache installed on tjener instead)
* [22.214.171.124 User groups in Windows]
. which resides on tjener in
* [17.6.2 XP home]
. can still connect to tjener using their skolelinux credentials,
. before tjener will appear in Network Neighbourhood
* [126.96.36.199 Example smb.conf files for roaming profiles]
. the installation on tjener under
* [188.8.131.52 Global policies for roaming profiles]
. your netlogon share on tjener.
. If you put such a file on tjener
* [184.108.40.206 Disabling roaming in smb.conf]
. You can alter the <computeroutput>smb.conf</computeroutput> file on tjener
* [18.2 Domain Membership]
. To use Samba on TJENER as a domain controller,
. To enable this account log on to TJENER as the first user
* [19.5.1 Providing the repository on tjener]
. Providing the repository on tjener
= [2.1 Some history and why two names] =
= [3.1.1 The default network setup] =
* This is designed to be modified - that is, you can have the NFS-root in syslinux point to one of the LTSP servers or change the DHCP next-server option (stored in LDAP) to have clients directly boot via PXE from the terminal server.
. syslinux, point
= [3.1.3 Services running on the main server] =
= [3.2 Administration] =
* (root not allowed by default)
. maybe: (root log-in not allowed by default)
= [3.2.1 Installation] =
* The aim is to be able to install a server from any type medium once, and install all other clients over the network by booting from the network.
. type of
= [4 Requirements] =
= [4.1 Hardware requirements] =
* eth1 is used for serving LTSP clients (192.168.0.0/24 as default, but others are possible.
. missing )
= [5.2 Internet router] =
* Check the OpenWRT webpages for a list of <ulink url="http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware">supported hardware</ulink>.
. http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware -> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
= [Installation] =
= [6.2.2 USB drive ISO image for i386 and amd64] =
* Please note that internet access during installation is needed.
. internet access is needed during installation
= [6.4.1 Select type of installation] =
* Advanced options > gives a sub menu with more detailed options to choose
* Help gives some hints on using the installer
. these 2 lack "."
= [6.4.2 The installation process] =
* Choose a language (for the installation and the installed system)
* Choose a location which normally should be the location where you live.
* Choose a keyboard keymap (the country's default is usually fine)
* Choose profile(s) from the following list:
. some items lack "."
* You must only install one main server per school!
* Please note that you must have 2 network cards installed in a machine which is going to be installed as a combined main server or as a thin client server to become usefull after the installation.
. it should say interfaces instead of cards
= [220.127.116.11 A note on thin-client-server installations] =
. looks like this has note*s*
= [7 GettingStarted] =
= [7.1 Minimum steps to get started] =
* It covers how to perform these minumum steps correctly as well, as other stuff that everybody will probably need to do.
= [7.5 Machine Management with GOsa²] =
* Only workstations with disks <emphasis role="strong">have</emphasis> to be added with GOsa²,
. it should surround "have to"
* Please note, that the IP addresses shown after usage of <computeroutput>sitesummary2ldapdhcp</computeroutput> belong to the dynamic IP range.
. after use of
* These systems can then be modified though to suit your network:
. what's "though"?
* add it to netgroups, if needed; reboot the system afterwards.
. s/,// s/;/,/
= [7.5.2 Modify existing machines / Netgroup management] =
* Remember to configure workstations and ltsp-servers properly with GOsa²,
. should be LTSP-servers unless "ltsp-servers" is vars or something
* Debian Edu machines in this group will only be allowed to connect to machines on the local network.
. only should be just before "on"
= [11.3 Server Monitoring] =
= [11.3.1 Munin] =
* <computeroutput>munin-node-configure</computeroutput> program, which probes
= [12.2 Upgrades from Debian Edu Jessie] =
* Read all debconf information carefully, choose 'keep the local version currently installed';
. #: src/configure.c
. #, c-format
. msgid ""
. " What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:\n"
. " Y or I : install the package maintainer's version\n"
. " N or O : keep your currently-installed version\n"
= [12.3 Upgrades from older Debian Edu / Skolelinux installations (before Jessie)] =
* (Lenny was it's name
= [13 HowTo] =
= [14 general administration HowTo] =
= [14.7 Using stable-updates] =
* Since the Squeeze release in 2011, Debian has included packages formerly maintained in volatile.debian.org in the <ulink url="http://wiki.debian.org/StableUpdates">stable-updates suite</ulink>.
. these versions need wheezy version to be based release, which never had it
* stable-updates are pushed into the stable suite regularily
= [14.8 Using backports.debian.org to install newer software] =
* but since 2011 this [[<ulink url="http://backports.debian.org/news/squeeze-backports_and_lenny-backports-sloppy_started/|is"/> not needed anymore].
. parenthesis and wiki markup is broken
= [14.9 Upgrading with a CD or similar image] =
* apt-cdrom is used to add a new CDROM to APTs list of available sources.
. apt-cdrom is used to add a new CD-ROM to APT's list of available sources.
* It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system, it cannot be done by hand.
. It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system; it cannot be done by hand.
* Furthermore each disk in a multi-cd set must be inserted and scanned separately to account for possible mis-burns.
. Furthermore each disc in a multi-CD set must be inserted and scanned separately to account for possible mis-burns.
= [14.10 Automatic cleanup of leftover processes] =
* <computeroutput>killer</computeroutput> is is a perl script
. killer is is
= [15 Advanced administration] =
. missing "howto"
= [15.1.1 Create Users in Year Groups] =
* In this example we want to create users in year groups, with common home directories for each group (home0/2014, home0/2015, etc.)
* An Entry <computeroutput>'NewStudent'</computeroutput> should show up
. are the quotes part of value of the field?
* notice all entries showing up in the Generic, POSIX and Samba tabs, maybe take screenshots.
. take screenshots?
. maybe this is comment as FIXME?
= [15.2 Other User Customisations] =
= [15.2.2 Easy access to USB drives and CDROMs/DVDs] =
* When users insert a USB drive or a DVD / CDROM into a (diskless) "
* When users insert a USB drive or a DVD / CDROM into a thin client
* easy access to USB drives, CDROM / DVD or whatever media is connected to the thin client.
. CD-ROM or just CD
= [18.104.22.168 A warning about removable media on LTSP servers] =
* This is being tracked as <ulink url="http://bugs.skolelinux.org/1376">Debian Edu bug #1376</ulink>.
. no-more-to-be-used bts
= [15.3 Use a dedicated storage server] =
* Add a new system of type server using GOsa² as outlined
. new type of?
* Create the mount directories using <computeroutput>mkdir</computeroutput>
. "to be mounted" directories
= [15.4.1 Setup without LTSP clients] =
* If no LTSP clients are used a simple solution is to create a new group
* Create a group <computeroutput>sshusers</computeroutput> on the root level
. is that "root level" differ than base level?
= [15.4.2 Setup with LTSP clients] =
* Note: someone pluging in his box into the dedicated LTSP client network(s)
= [16.2 Using KDE "Plasma", GNOME, LXDE, Xfce and/or MATE together] =
* The usage of LXDE as default
. use of
* <link linkend="Installation--The_installation_process">
. maybe Additional_boot_parameters_for_installations instead of The_installation_process
= [16.5 Using the multimedia repository] =
* To use www.deb-multimedia.org do the following:
. do not say www
= [17. HowTo/NetworkClients] =
= [17.1 Introduction to thin clients and diskless workstations] =
* Unlike workstations, diskless workstations run without any need to add them with GOsa², cause LDM is used to login and connect to the LTSP server.
. s/cause /because /
* The following steps can be used to get back the behaviour from Debian Edu Squeeze, using automount, NFS and a display manager other than ldm:"
. cool, so Debian Edu can upgrade directly from squeeze to stretch!?
= [17.4.1 LTSP client configuration in LDAP (and lts.conf)] =
* To force usage of a specific xserver on an LTSP client,
. use of
= [17.4.3 Load-balancing LTSP servers] =
= [22.214.171.124 Part 1] =
* as a script printing one or more servers for LDM to connect to.
. victory > maybe s/print/point/ ?
. pere > victory: no, but perhaps s/printing/printing list of/
. pere > victory: the script should output hostnames, one per line.
. victory > script which generates server list
* How this is done you decide later on."
. you will decide later how this is done
= [17.4.5 Use printers attachted to LTSP clients] =
* lts.conf (default location: <computeroutput>/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf</computeroutput>,
. missing ")"
= [17.4.7 Slow login and security] =
* Although it's not recommended, you can add the value "True" in the
. incomplete string; saying only value w/o key is useless; add the value for what? maybe it should be like "you can add a line ... to not use SSH"
= [126.96.36.199 Machine policies for roaming profiles] =
* Copy <computeroutput>c:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy
* Pick a freshly installed Windows computer, and run <computeroutput>gpedit.msc</computeroutput>
. it is not available on Home editions
= [188.8.131.52 Global policies for roaming profiles] =
* you can can create a Policy file
. can can
= [184.108.40.206 Editing Windows registry] =
* Mark a selection, right-click, and select "Export".
. context-menu (appears when right-click'ed) does not have it; it has only modify, delete, rename
. to export, select "File" -> "Export" from menu
. not found
= [220.127.116.11 Redirecting using machine policies] =
* You can use <computeroutput>gpedit.msc</computeroutput>
. it is not available on Home editions
= [17.7.2 Available Remote Desktop clients] =
* <computeroutput>freerdp-x11</computeroutput> is installed by default and is captable of RDP and VNC.
= [18.1 Getting Started] =
* Samba (v3), since Debian Edu Wheezy (the previous release),
. no need to say v3
. "the previous release" for stretch is jessie only, so something like:
. since the version in Wheezy, Samba (v3 at the time= [if you still want to say] =) has
* After installation of the Debian Edu main server
. After installation of ... have done,
. After installing ...
= [19 HowTo for teaching and learning] =
* All the Debian packages on this page
. "on this page" is not applied for pdf
= [19.3 Monitoring pupils] =
* See also the iTALC Wiki (and the documentation in bug 511387).
. no need to mention the already fixed (1:2.0.0-4 in jessie) bug#
= [19.5.3 Adding the SmartBoard software manually after installation] =
* Using an editor add the following lines
. editor, and add ...
= [20.1 Changing passwords] =
* Using GOsa² to change the password ensures that ... passwords are the same.
. passwords for ... are
= [20.3 HowTos for users] =
* the adminstrator needs to configure
= [20.3.1 KMail] =
* Close the tip of the day
* Cancel the Account Assistant
* Open Settings/Configure KMail
* click OK
* click add
. strings from the UI should be quoted
* check 'server requires authentication'
. maybe "Server"
* click add"
. maybe "Add"
= [26.1. HowTo translate this document] =
* (stretch only:)
* More information about the process can be found in /usr/share/doc/debian-edu-doc/README.debian-edu-jessie-manual-translations.
* Then edit the file documentation/debian-edu-jessie/debian-edu-jessie-manual.$CC.po (replacing $CC with your language code).
* Read /usr/share/doc/debian-edu-doc/README.debian-edu-jessie-manual-translations to find information how to create a new PO file for your language if there isn't one yet, and how to update translations.
* There should be an entry like:
* Host git.debian.org
* User <your-alioth-username>
. should say like "Add a config block like this"
* you just need to check out some files from Git
. you need to check out only a few files from Git
* and create patches
. no need to be a patch, this phrase should just be deleted;
. new translation does not have an original to compare
. patch requires extra human resource after the po file changed since it submitted;
. gettext tools can handle entire po file even when base docs changed;
* You can find some <ulink url="http://bugs.debian.org">instructions on how to submit bugs</ulink> here
. the "here" is strange
* Also you might want to look at the gitk package that provides a GUI for Git.
. the link http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Basics-Recording-Changes-to-the-Repository redirects to https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Recording-Changes-to-the-Repository
. (jessie has 2.x)
= [28.4. Stuff to know] =
* The password for the user is "user"; root has no passwd set.
= #################################################### =
. all contents below are not needed, though (previous 2 releases is enough)
= [29.4.1. User visible changes] =
* See below for a list of updated software.
. is this needed? seems useless as the title already says these are about changes
* Add link to http://linuxsignpost.org/ on the start page shown to new users.
. it redirects to http://www.skolelinux.no/linux-signpost/showUserMenu.php
* <ulink url="http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/ Documentation/Squeeze/HowTo/NetworkClients#Remote_Desktop_Service"
. need to point squeeze?
= [29.4.10. Other changes] =
* Root logins are denied for both KDM and GDM - see above and <ulink url="https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Squeeze/GettingStarted#"
. no KDM in the page
= [29.6. New features in Debian Edu 5.0.4+edu0 Codename "Lenny" released 2010-02-08] =
* <ulink url="http://blends.alioth.debian.org/edu/tasks/">task overview page</ulink>.
. redirects to: https://blends.debian.org/edu/tasks/
* Improved student desktop with educational software shortcuts to GCompris, Kalzium, KGeography, KMplot, KStars, Stopmotion and OpenOffice Write and Impress.
. most likely it is OpenOffice Write*r*
. FTR: 2.4.1 final:
. * openoffice.org-writer: Word processor
* Improved diskless and thin client setup.
* New startup menu letting users choose diskless workstation, thin client or workstation.
* A diskless workstation option is installed but not activated by default on all servers with the LTSP-server profile.
* Main-server is set up as a PXE server for booting thin clients and diskless workstations, and for installing to clients' hard or flash drives.
. latter 3 belong to the 1st, dont it?
* Multi-architecture (amd64/i386/powerpc) net installer CD.
* (Most) Packages are downloaded over the Internet.
* Multi-architecture (amd64/i386) installer DVD capable of installing without network.
. (Most)... belongs to the former, doesnt it?
. this is contrast between CD and DVD:
= [29.9. New features in the "3.0r0 Terra" release 2007-07-22] =
* Regression: swi-prolog is not part of Etch, but was part of Sarge. ...
. no need to describe howto only for Etch in later releases
no need to CC me :-)