Re: [debian-edu-commits] [Debian Wiki] Update of "DebianEdu/Status/Stretch" by HolgerLevsen

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 09:24:26PM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 05:43:18PM -0000, Debian Wiki wrote:
[default desktop for stretch]
> > Comment: and how to decide on this?
>
> Good question; maybe point out that the user can decide at installation
> time.

yes.

> It's all about choice, according to the local conditions.

while true, we should also provide a good default… (too much choice is
bad…)

> So maybe add an explanation to the installation section of the manual
> about the MATE (or whatever) choice as Debian Edu default DE for Stretch
> and extend the information in the same section about kernel command line
> arguments to install several DEs.

yes. (Thats mentioned as TODO on the status page)

> > + * is MATE really the best choice of default desktop? Maybe rather
> > LXQT, which like KDE is QT-based?
> We would need a new task (and a new package) lxqt-desktop in that case,
> and testing... and maybe tweaking...

ah, ok, I thought we had this already. As we don't have it, I'm tempted
to leave it as it is, unless we really want to go ("back") to
KDE/Plasma… (which I'm not convinced is sensible…)

--
cheers,
	Holger